Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas. It is also known as "The invisible killer." It is ordorless and colorless. Yearly, over 150 people in the U.S. die from consumer products and accidental non-fire related CO poisoning. Learn more about this deadly gas from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
People may not know they are being exposed to this gas. The early symptoms of low to moderate poisoning are similar to the flu but without the fever. The symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
Higher levels of CO poisoning can result in more severe symptoms like:
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
- Ultimately death
- Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician.
- Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open. Use generators outside only, far away from the home.
- Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking. Do not barbeque in the garage.
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating.
- Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
- Install battery-operated CO alarms or CO alarms with battery backup in your home outside separate sleeping areas.
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and confusion. If you suspect CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.
Kahn Law Firm wants you and your family to stay safe from this deadly gas and products that cause it.