Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas. It is also known as "The invisible
killer." It is ordorless and colorless. Yearly, over 150 people in
the U.S. die from consumer products and accidental non-fire related CO
poisoning. Learn more about this deadly gas from the
Consumer Product Safety Commission.
People may not know they are being exposed to this gas. The early symptoms
of low to moderate poisoning are similar to the flu but without the fever.
The symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
Higher levels of CO poisoning can result in more severe symptoms like:
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
- Ultimately death
- Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected
and serviced annually by a trained service technician.
- Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and
windows are open. Use generators outside only, far away from the home.
- Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking. Do
not barbeque in the garage.
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating.
- Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until
the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous
gases inside the home.
- Install battery-operated CO alarms or CO alarms with battery backup in
your home outside separate sleeping areas.
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness,
nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and confusion. If you suspect CO poisoning,
get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.
Kahn Law Firm wants you and your family to stay safe from this deadly gas
and products that cause it.